SHORTS: Agolde (favorite and only pair of denim shorts I’ll wear) // ONE PIECE SUIT: La Blanca (so flattering on anyone!) // HAT: Brixton // SUNGLASSES: Karen Walker // SHOES: Golden Goose (on sale!) //
Click the image below to shop my look:
Every Thanksgiving, for the past 3 years, my boyfriend and I have traveled somewhere new together. It’s our tradition and we love it! Two years ago we went to Austin, Texas, last year we went to Seattle, WA and Vancouver, BC and this year we decided to venture to Catalina Island! My boyfriend had actually been years ago when he was a young Cub Scout but I can’t belive I had never been- living in Santa Barbara, it’s not that far away! In fact, we went this year for a day trip which was totally doable, SO much fun… and did I mention absolutely DREAMY?! 🙂
What’s the best way to travel to Catalina Island?
• We woke up early and drove from Santa Barbara to the Long Beach Port to catch the 9:50am ferry across the channel to Catalina Island. We arrived an hour before departure time, but you will have plenty of time if you show up 30 min ahead of time. The ferry ride is one hour and so pretty! Keep your eyes peeled for seals and dolphins 😉
What are the best ferry times and seats? How much does the ferry cost?
• You can go here to book your ferry tickets. We booked 2 round-trip commodore tickets, and were so happy that it included the top deck with a snack + drink (worth it!). On the way to Catalina Island, be sure to sit on the right side of the boat, that way you’ll have the best view of Avalon as you pull into the port.
Who should visit Catalina Island?
• EVERYONE! It’s perfect for all ages, so take the whole family or make it a
special getaway with your significant other!
What is there to do on Catalina island?
• There are A TON of activities (see here) to do on the island for everybody! My boyfriend and I are all about adventures that make memories so that’s exactly what we did.
•We started out at Descanso Beach Club (100000% must if visiting). We rented two chaise lounge chairs + umbrella ahead of time and had our own little private spot for the day, steps from the beach, with wait service! We ordered lunch, relaxed, drank some of the most delicious Buffalo’s Milk Drinks (it’s their famous specialty, just trust me on this one), and dipped into the gorgeous water! The views from Descanso Beach Club are incredible. You can also rent kayaks, snorkeling gear, standup paddle boards, etc, from right there on the beach.
•After our day spent relaxing and lounging on the beach, we walked about 20 yards up from the beach where we strapped in and got our adrenaline rushing for some Zip Lining! The guides make you feel completely safe, they are so knowledgable about the area, and even crack some good jokes along the way. They drive you up to the VERY top of Catalina Island in a Hummer and get you started on the most exhilarating zip lines through the canyons with breathtaking views of the island and ocean! Again, 100000% must if visiting the island!
Where are the best spots to eat and drink?
•Descanso Beach Club (best view in town
• We heard Bluewater Grille was great too!
When is the best time of the year to visit Catalina Island?
• Year round! The high season is definitely summer, but I think it’s beautiful any month of the year! When we visited at the end of November, we were still able to wear our bathing suits and layed out in the sun in 65 degree weather!
Where’s the best place to stay in Avalon on Catalina Island?
• Avalon Bay is the best place to stay. Twin Harbors is desolate and more of a camping area. We only made a day trip out of Catalina Island, but I’ve heard great things from a friend about this hotel, and have also heard that it’s a great idea to rent a house or condo on VRBO (where most include a free golf cart to use). My boyfriend and I saw these incredible and dreamy timeshares in Hamilton Cove and instantly fell in love with it. We’re determined to stay there next time (but be sure to book far in advance)!
How long should I visit for?
• We made a day trip out of it and spent about 8 hours on the island, which worked out great! We really loved our stay and actually wish we had booked a hotel for just one night. It would be so nice to go out to dinner and wine, then wake up have brunch and a beach day, then head home. I’ve heard a weekend on Catalina Island is the ideal time!
Interesting Facts we learned while speaking to locals on the island:
• There is a 20 year waitlist if you’d like to have a car on the island! Everyone drives golf carts, it is THE cutest thing ever, I think I want to move there someday 😉
•Did you know there are over 600 bison on Catalina Island?! In 1924, fourteen bison were brought to Catalina for the making of a film. When the lights went down and film crews departed, the bison were left on the Island
• Catalina Island was once owned by William Wrigley, Jr. of Wrigley chewing gum fame. He developed Avalon as a resort island destination and brought the Chicago Cubs baseball team (which he owned) to the Island for spring training from 1921-1951.
All in all, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND a trip to Catalina Island! It really does feel like paradise, and a world away from reality! Enjoy 🙂