As promised on my first blog post of 2017, I vowed to be more open and vulnerable, so today I’m sharing my very personal story of why and how I maintain a summer tan year round!
Right after my 26th birthday I received a phone call after a routine doctor checkup. The type of phone call no one wants to hear in their entire lifetime: your test results came back malignant melanoma. NO… ME?! I’M ONLY 26 YEARS OLD. A million and one thoughts ran through my mind, but the worst of them being, that I can’t believe I was just diagnosed with the deadliest form of skin cancer possible at such a young age…
Fast forward about 2 years, one successful surgery, and a large 6 inch scar later, here I am today, alive and happy. I now frequent the dermatologist every 3 months and stay out of the sun as much as possible. But because I live in sunny Santa Barbara this has meant I’ve had to say goodbye to my endless beach days, and hello to fair skin and LOTS of sunscreen every single day! Don’t get me wrong, I totally respect those wanting to keep their pretty pale skin, but I’ve personally always felt I looked more toned and more alive with a tan, so today I’m sharing how I achieve and maintain a glowing summer tan the natural and sun-less way…
- Shave your legs and arms.
- Exfoliate your entire body in the shower.
- Spray a golf ball size of this product onto your tanning mitt. Starting with one body part at a time (lower legs, upper legs, feet/knees, arms, chest, etc), rub the product into the skin in a circular motion.
- Continue to apply on desired areas.
- Now do not shower for about 3 hours as the tanner needs to soak in. (I usually apply the tanner the night before, so I can wake up and shower and apply lotion over my entire body.) Continue to moisturize in order to lock in the tan for at least 5-7 days.
- For some added natural glow to your face, I use this product before applying my makeup and love it.
HERE ARE MY BEFORE TANNING AND AFTER TANNING RESULTS…
If becoming vulnerable and sharing my personal experience can affect at least one person to make a conscious effort to protect and respect their skin, I would be so happy! Please spread the love by informing others of the importance of sunscreen and being mindful of the powerful sun. The Melanoma Research Foundation is near and dear to my heart, so if you feel so inclined to donate, please do so here! 🙂2 comments