Alright friends… as you know if you joined me in NYC on Instagram @toreystreasures for New York Fashion Week (#NYFW), then you know I had THE BEST WEEKEND EVER! It was definitely a dream come true to be attending shows, meeting bloggers, being photographed, and connecting with brands all in the heart of the fashion industry. It was my first time attending and I felt SO incredibly thankful for the opportunity!
CLICK TO SHOP THE POST:
Today will be the first post of many of my NYFW posts, but I thought it would be best to start with the 7 most valuable things I learned while attending New York Fashion Week as a first timer. Let’s get to it…
- Be yourself: Means exactly what it says. Be who you are, act like the person you awlays are, and stay true to your character and personality. The best person you can be while at NYFW is to be yourself 🙂
- Plan your outfits ahead of time: I cannot stress enough the importance of planning your outfits ahead of time, from head to toe. This will save you time and energy when you are in NYC. Dress outside of your comfort zone but stay true to your style! I was really excited to put together some outfits that I wouldn’t typically wear, however, made sure they were still true to my personal style and brand. Don’t be afraid to stand out, but don’t go overboard (we saw some of the most outrageous outfits).
- Be organized: I created a whole NYFW spreadsheet with times, locations, etc and had it easily accessible on my phone. Plan out as much you can but still balance it out with fun. I loved having a pretty full schedule but also scheduled in some time for photoshoots, city exploring, brunches, rooftop drinks, etc.
- Network: Meet up with other bloggers while there, reach out to bloggers you’ve been wanting to make a connection with, and remember that being kind never goes out of style! Being in NYC for NYFW is such a great opportunity to network and hang out with all of your other blogging friends. For example, I have a ton of girls that I met while at the rS Con in Dallas in April, so it was a blast to reunite at a couple events and parties while in New York. No matter what, everyone will always have an image of your personality or the person you are so make sure you act how you want others to perceive you. I always live by the golden rules which keeps me grounded!
- Be prepared: Bring an extra charger, pack protein bars in your purse, and drink water. This all sounds simple but trust me on this one. You get so busy, you basically forget! The first day my phone died and I was stranded without an uber, or whereabouts to my location, be sure to bring an extra portable charger to use throughout the day and pack snacks in your purse. I also forgot a protein bar the first day (rookie mistakes I know), but the second day I remembered and it saved me. You don’t get many breaks because you’re taking ubers/taxis from event to event without stopping for a meal, so this is key. With events, the unpredictable weather, talking a ton, and wine here and there, you are bound to lose your voice and/or be super dehydrated (like me).
- Be flexible and don’t stress: Sometimes things wont go as planned, events are late, or you end up at the wrong address. Trust me, just be flexible, and go with the flow. You have to be able to roll with the punches in the craziness of New York City during NYFW.
- Be thankful for the opportunity: I cannot even put into words how grateful I am for being able to attend New York Fashion Week this year! It was always a dream and goal of mine to make it someday, and 2017 was the year for me! I am so appreciative for all my followers, my supporters, and encouragers along the way, that allowed me to reach this point in my blogging career. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, and I look forward to many more NYFW’s! 😉
I hope you will learn from my experiences I’ve shared in order to make your next NYFW the most successful and valuable one yet! I always try taking everything as a learning experience, and this past weekend was definitely that. I can’t wait to share my NYFW day by day guides with you this week!
I’m excited to gain more insights into surviving the incredibly exhausting but insanely rewarding experience of my blogging career yet, as I already look forward to next year’s NYFW! This year was worth every penny, every stressful outfit situation, and all 12 hours of traveling to have the opportunity to attend New York Fashion Week as a blogger! It’s definitely a memory that I will always cherish 🙂