This post has definitely been my most requested since I started blogging, and especially lately. As you all know, I’m a dedicated full time elementary school teacher AND a very passionate and dedicated blogger! To most that seems absolutely crazy (who said you can’t do both?!), but to me, it’s just right 😉
I want to preface this post by saying, it’s VERY challenging to do both. Very difficult. Very draining. And most definitely very time consuming. But to me, it’s ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT! 🙂
I’ve always said that “the busier I am, the better”, which still rings true to this day. If you didn’t already know, I started Torey’s Treasures as a hobby and outlet to fill up my empty time (especially summer breaks). My boyfriend and I were (and still are) in a long-distance relationship, so I have more free time on my hands when we were apart, and with his encouragement, I decided to start Torey’s Treasures. Fast forward to now, 2 years later, and my blog and Instagram have taken off, and I haven’t looked back since! I’m always learning new things everyday, and challenging myself to succeed in ways I never knew I could, but am so grateful I do!
Yes, I frequently get stressed, overwhelmed, and can get down on myself for not achieving what I wanted to, or not posting a photo on Instagram before the bell at school rings, etc… But you know what!? That’s quite alright. Things get in the way, life happens, and I’ve learned the last 2 years (going full speed), that you have to roll with the punches, be flexible, and be willing to continuously strive for balance!
Click the image below to shop my outfit:
Without further ado, let’s talk about what my daily schedule looks like! I’m a person that always has to be on the go, no matter what. I never watch TV or movies, and rarely have down time to relax, but that’s who I am, and I’m happy with it!
- 5:15 am- Wake up, drink coffee, get ready for school.
- 6:30am- Post an Instagram photo before my 45 minute commute. I love listening to podcasts on my drive and also like to brainstorm blog ideas AND think about my daily lesson plans at school. #multitasking
- 8:00am-3:30pm- School is in session and I’m all in. On my lunch break, I will try posting an Instagram photo.
- 4:30pm- After driving my 45 minute commute back, I go straight to the gym. No excuses. My gym bag has been packed the night before and is ready to go.
- 5:30pm- Last minute errands/I try to get home asap to cook dinner and shower. I also post an Instagram around dinner time.
- 7:30pm- FaceTime date with my boyfriend. We do this nightly and it is SO important to our long distance relationship. It’s definitely the highlight of each and every day!
- 8:30pm- Finish up writing a blog post I started on the weekend and/or edit photos, answer emails, respond to DM’s (which takes hours but it’s my favorite part of the craziness, just being able to connect with hundreds and thousands of you personally).
- 11:00pm- My bedtime. If I’m not in bed by 11 or 11:30, I know the next day at school will consist of the most coffee, ever.
As you can see, Monday through Friday, I’m literally gone out of my house for 12+ hours, and basically have little to no social life. I will occasionally go out to dinners but I try and save my “social outings” for the weekend. I’m dedicated to what I do, and sometimes that means making sacrifices, whatever they may be.
My weekends look a whole lot different, and that is for the sole reason that they are about 95% dedicated to behind the scenes of my blog and Instagram. This is what they look like:
- Friday night: Usually spent doing laundry, answering emails, ordering clothes online, stopping by Nordstrom curbside pickup last minute, and prepping for photoshoots on the weekend that my mom and I will meet up to shoot.
- Saturday: I always workout first thing in the morning and then typically will go out to brunch with my mom. We then proceed to take 5+ outfit photoshoots, to prepare enough content for the upcoming week. Thanks mom!
- Sunday: Usually spent working out, editing photos, writing blog posts, visiting my grandpa, meal prepping for the M-F ahead, etc.
Now, I want to share the 4 key things I personally do, to balance both a teaching job and a full time blog wholeheartedly:
- Support from loved ones: this is the key to success. Don’t be afraid to ask for help! My mom is my photographer, and my boyfriend is my photographer when we travel and/or when we are together on weekends. My dad helps me on the back end with my taxes and contracts for the blog.
- Fitness: this keeps me sane. Without working out, I would probably be a psychotic mess haha. It really does keep my mental and emotional self in check. I always feel 100% better after a workout when the endorphins are flowing!
- Planning and organizing: using a calendar (I’m old school and write everything down). I use this tape in my planner to keep all my due dates and activities color coded. For example, purple is for the blog, blue is for school, green is for personal and travel. I write everything in one calendar so I can see it all in one place.
- Go, go go: Literally, I never ever stop. I’m always working, always thinking, always on the go, always out and about somewhere doing something, and always thinking about what’s coming next. Always. I’m not sure if that’s healthy or not, but it’s what I have to do if I want to achieve everything I set my mind to.
If you have made it this far in the post, thank you so SO much for taking time out of your day (because as we all know, time is precious) to visit Torey’s Treasures!! I hope this answered your question of, “Hey Torey, how do you do it all?!” and gave you more insight into my everyday life of balancing a full time teaching job and a full time blog 🙂
As you can see, I’m extremely dedicated and have such a strong passion for both. It’s so rewarding seeing all the growth in my career and personal life come to fruition. I’m still learning every single day, and love that the learning never ends. I couldn’t be prouder of what I have created from nothing, and plan on continuing the hard work and persistence from here on out! Keep in mind that what works for me, may be different for someone else. Pleaseeee leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought of this post! It was something totally different, and I hope you enjoyed it!